[Monotone-devel] Merge frustration

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Merge frustration
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:02:53 +0200

Arghhhh, I have manual merging with monotone 0.26.

So now that is of my chest I can be more reasonable.
What happened, I was doing a merge from two development
lines which branched off quite a long time ago, and for
some reason I got lots of merge conflicts.  So I duly set
out to merge them.
Unfortunately however, after merging file number 37
I  made a tiny mistake when exciting my merge tool
and boom monotone saw I did not merge and bailed out
with:

monotone: misuse merge of 's/S/ChangeLog' : xxxx -> xxxx vs xxxx failed.

So now I lost all my merge work up to that point.  Grr.

Now don't get me wrong.  I really do like the concept of in database
merging.  But this is really annoying.  It makes me really afraid
of manual merges.
If version control systems are about not loosing work etc.
This behaviour seems wrong.  I need all me attention for the actual merge.

Now my rant is over, but let me close by saying that I would like
somewhat different behaviour:

1 - When a tree merge has conflicts, I would like to be able to
    do my conflict resolution on all files at once.
    I don't  like them being fed to me one by one in a random order

2 - If I make a mistake with merging, I don't want monotone to throw
    out all the work I have done up to that point.

3 - I do like the fact that I can do a merge between two different
    branches/revisions, withouth having one of them checked out at my
    disk.

Thanks for reading to my complaints and back to work for me.

Wim Oudshoorn.