Re: [Monotone-devel] Merge frustration

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Merge frustration
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:16:23 +0200

Justin Patrin schrieb:
2 things. First, I would suggest trying monotone 0.27. It's much
better for merge resolution (it shouldn't list as many things as
having conflicts, IIRC). Second, if the conflicts you're seeing seem
nonsensical, try monotone merge --lca.

mtn merge no longer has --lca (I think in 0.26 this option was still listed, but had no functionality since the move to the new rosters code)

2 - If I make a mistake with merging, I don't want monotone to throw
    out all the work I have done up to that point.

This would be "fixed" by "merge-in-workspace", but that feature has
not been finished as yet.

What about this (may be an intermediate resolution since I don't know how long it will take to implement workspace merge):

If a merge fails, mtn asks the user if he

a) wants to retry merging the file
b) wants to create a new revision based on the already merged fragments (since he can trigger another merge later on without problems)
c) wants to abort the merge

?

Even any of the above two options would be better than the current behaviour, e.g. there could be a command line switch "--ignore-errors" which does b)

Thomas.