[Monotone-devel] Re: Merge frustration

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Merge frustration
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:13:05 +0100

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> The plan right now is to start by disallowing conflicted trees into
> the database -- because if you allow them, then you run into the
> interesting question of, what happens if people merge two conflicted
> trees, and there are conflicts...

You could just forbid such things: you allow merging of conflicted
revisions only if the sets of conflicted files in each revision are
disjoint (the idea being that conflicts disappear during the merge,
with possibly new conflicts created by previously non-conflicted
files).

That captures what I imagine would be the common usage, where you try
and remove conflicts really quickly, so such mergers tend to be close
together (perhaps of revisions formed by a couple of people working on
the conflicts in independent sets of files).

On the other hand, if (as I suggested) such conflicted revisions were
kept out of the way of users not looking for them, then they *would*
sometimes last for long periods.  And anyway, users do unexpected
things.

> ...this is the sort of question one would like to keep out of the
> critical path.

Yes.  On the whole, merge in workspace potentially offers most of what
people will want, I suspect (it's what most systems provide, anyway).
Presuming there are options to get conflicts embedded in files, then
people *could* commit such things (on separate branches, one hopes) if
they wanted.

[...]