Re: [Monotone-devel] Triggers (was: Re: FAQ on wiki)

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Triggers (was: Re: FAQ on wiki)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:40:46 -0700

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:15:07PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 07:16:38PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> > The best system would be one that touched a flag file or similar (ie,
> I usually use a fifo for that kind of things - that way, it's "echo > fifo"
> on the sender and "while read line; do your job; done" on the recipient of
> the event..

If only there were write-or-fail fifos, as opposed to
write-or-block... fifos in this circumstance make me nervous, because
if the reader dies then the writer doesn't gracefully degrade.

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."