Re: [Monotone-devel] url schemes

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] url schemes
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 22:32:01 +0100

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Very nice. Really similar to what I have in mind. With the revisions, I
> remember doing something more like:
>
>   /revision/$REVID/manifest
>   /revision/$REVID/ancestors

There is not something like a REST standard, but as far as I understood, URLs
for a restful service should start with a noun denoting what is returned by
that URL, and followed by some id (or, in the case of returning a set, some
other arguments to further confine that set).

So in my scheme, /revisions/... (plural) returns a list of
revisions, /revision/... (singular) the contents of a single
revision, /manifest/... returns a manifest, and so on.

> And I started with:
>
>   /branch/$BRANCHNAME/heads

That in fact can be done with a selector, so I didn't provide an URL for it.

> > Note that while the urls are easy changeable, actually thoughts also have
> > to be put in the design of the json responses
>
> Right.
>
> > that replace the basic_io output
> > of mtn (for revisions, manifests, certs, etc.).
>
> Replace? You mean you would completely replace the basic_io format with
> a json based one? Or are you speaking of the format for transmission
> exclusively?

Instead of returning basic_io, my service returns json for everything besides
file contents (and raw output in case of the "backdoor" /cmd/...).

Regards,
Thomas