Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: summit flag day?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: summit flag day?
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:26:34 +0200

Hi,

Zack Weinberg wrote:
We really need a scheme for versioning the algorithm used to digest
and sign a particular object.  If we had that, then it would be
possible to continue checking signatures on old objects in the old
way, but use the new algorithm for all new objects.

I absolutely agree. I even think netsync (or upcoming nuskool) should be backwards compatible, so as to prevent flag days in the future. I.e. two peers should negotiate an algorithm - according to their capabilities and then do the syncing with whatever algorithm they both know.

I think it would be a good idea if code to implement the changes were
written, on a branch, before we even started talking about when to
schedule the flag-day release.

+99

Markus