Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Hooks

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Hooks
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:02:15 +0200

Daniel Carrera schrieb:
> Thomas Keller wrote:
>> In general new things get added when people find them useful. The usual
>> procedure is:
>>
>> 1) Somebody provides a patch or developes the feature in a separate
>> branch (implementation, tests and documentation included)
>>
>> 2) The feature's implementation is put on discussion on the list and the
>> original developer might get some further input
>>
>> 3) The everything is sound and bugfree, the feature gets into mainline
>>
>> There is no "masterplan" or something which would hinder or even prevent
>> people improving / expanding monotone.
>
> Ok. So, if I tried to put something together in Lua (I have no idea what
> I'm getting into here!) and posted it here, would that work?

Of course, we could easily add it to contrib/ for the next release and
it would be noted in NEWS. It won't be directly available for all users
though, they would still have to install it into their monotonerc's.

> I don't see
> myself touching the C++ sources.  I could use some documentation for the
> Lua API if there is any. If not I'll just try to work from the examples.

If you don't know Lua, there is a very good tutorials site which is
probably a good start. Other than that monotone has implemented a few
additional lua functions, which are available in hooks and user
functions, documented here [1]. If you have further (implementation)
questions it would also a good idea to join our IRC at freenode, the
channel is #monotone.

Thomas.

[0] http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory
[1] http://monotone.ca/monotone.html#Additional-Lua-Functions