Re: [Monotone-devel] branch management

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] branch management
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:37:21 +0100

Am 07.12.10 19:11, schrieb Hendrik Boom:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 05:47:23PM +0100, Thomas Keller wrote:
>> 1) If a new branch is created off trunk for a patch release and you make
>> your first commit, its your responsibility to change the version number
>> to "0.<minor>.<patch + 1>dev" for mtn < 1.0. If we follow the new
>> proposed version numbering scheme, this would mean
>> suggestions here.
>
> Do we run the risk of several patch branches being extant simultaneously
> and ending up with the same 0.minor.patch+1 number?  Presumably this
> would have to be changed when finally merging the patch.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "extant simultaneously" -
these releases are all made by a single person and the branches are
probably also only touched by one person at a time, so there is little
to no risk that two people start on a patch in some release branch
without communicating with each other.

>> Since 0.48 is quite around I think it makes sense to support this a
>> little longer - at least until Debian moves to a newer version - and
>> backport important stuff as needed.
>
> That'll be a long time, sonce 0.48 is currentl;y Debian testing, and
> will be around as stable for a very long time.  Unless we can get 1.0
> into testing before the release.  Which I consider unlikely.

Right, 0.48 will haunt us just a little longer, thats why I vote to
support it a bit more "officially" - see my other reply.

Thomas.