[Monotone-devel] C++11

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: [Monotone-devel] C++11
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 21:51:45 +0200

Hi,

as you may have realized, I'm considering using C++11 for monotone. A
relevant forerunner for that is botan, which already switched to C++11
in its 1.11 development branch. For monotone, there are two branches I'm
played with:

  net.venge.monotone.optional-cxx11: enables C++11 features on
      compilers supporting it. Doesn't change anything for
      compilers that do not provide C++11.

  net.venge.monotone.mandatory-cxx11: mandates C++11 and won't
      compile anymore on compilers that don't provide C++11.

Obviously, the former offers little benefit: We could possibly add minor
#ifdef'd optimizations. For example using perfect forwarding and move
constructors to avoid some copying if C++11 is used.

The latter seems much more interesting, but is a much heftier change as
well. Before I proceed with that branch, I'd like to get some feedback
and opinions.

The most obvious drawback is higher requirements on compilers and
standard libraries. However, it seems realistic to be able to support
gcc-4.6 and clang-3.3 and newer. (Maybe even older clang, but I didn't try.)

Is anybody opposed to raising these? Are you fine with landing these
branches and start to use C++11?

Regards

Markus Wanner