Re: [Monotone-devel] C++11

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] C++11
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 20:04:01 +0200

On 05/13/2014 07:35 PM, J Decker wrote:
> I didn't see an answer to 'would you
> mind to give guys like me some examples / judgement why monotone should
> switch to C++11? I could think of having less code in monotone because
> more is taken care of already in the stdlib, but some examples would be
> nice.'

That answer just took a little longer to write. There are so many useful
things... ;-)

For some more examples, please see the diff between nvm and
nvm.optional-cxx11.

> other than c++11 being new and shiny?  I know it has builtin thread
> support which might removal of some ifdefs ... but I'm sure that's an
> insignificant change

Yeah, monotone doesn't use threads, so that feature is not of use for us.

Given the (lack of) manpower, I think it's actually beneficial to the
project to reduce the variety of supported platforms. I'm certainly not
willing to test gccs back to version 3.2. Nor boost as of 1.33, for
example. (As currently stated in INSTALL.) I'd also like to drop support
for botan 1.6, maybe even 1.8.

Three years after release 1.0, I think it's about time to discuss the
set of supported platforms.

Regards

Markus Wanner