nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: proposal to add a tools menu, to group things that

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: proposal to add a tools menu, to group things that don't fit elsewhere
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 01:48:21 -0600

Benno Schulenberg:
> Hmm.  I hadn't thought of that.  :)  Don't know.  Maybe a message
> on the status bar?

Regardless of what it does, it still needs to display shortcuts below
the message (if the --nohelp option isn't used) and have an associated
help menu to describe those shortcuts in more detail.  With all the
shifting, in-editor documentation should still be available.

> Hm, no.  I want to reserve the Tools menu for operations that affect
> the whole buffer (or the marked region when something is marked), and
> not use it for smaller things.

Okay.

> The go-to-line function will stay in the Search menu because it's nice
> to be able to switch between Searching and Jumping.  Since we're
> leaving Pico behind, we could remove the paragraph-jumping functions
> from the Search menu altogether (since they are available directly in
> main), or we could put them in the Go-to-line menu.

Would the Go-To-Line menu still be directly accessible via M-G in main,
after all these changes?

> The latter makes the most sense to me: remove ^W, ^O, ^Y, and ^V from
> the Search menu and have them in the Go-to menu instead -- ^Y and ^V
> are already there and they are out of place in the Search menu.

Okay.