nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: proposal to add a tools menu, to group things that

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: proposal to add a tools menu, to group things that don't fit elsewhere
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 06:41:10 -0700

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 19:55:31 +0100
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Regardless of what it does, it still needs to display shortcuts
> > below the message (if the --nohelp option isn't used)
>
> I think this menu should force the help lines on, just like the help
> texts and the linter.  Otherwise there wouldn't be any menu, and not
> much of an indication that nano has gone into a different mode.

Help changes the edit window and linter jumps the cursor, so turning on
shortcuts works fine for them. But if the cursor is on bottom line, showing
shortcuts will scroll the edit window. This will be undesirable for many of the
functions in the tools menu.

A prompt-like bar could display "Tools menu." if help bar is visible, otherwise
display "Tools menu, press M-X to show options.". The lack of a colon and
cursor will indicate it is not a normal prompt.