nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: proposal to add a tools menu, to group things that

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: proposal to add a tools menu, to group things that don't fit elsewhere
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 19:55:31 +0100

Op 29-01-19 om 08:48 schreef David Ramsey:
> Benno Schulenberg:
>> Hmm.  I hadn't thought of that.  :)  Don't know.  Maybe a message
>> on the status bar?
>
> Regardless of what it does, it still needs to display shortcuts below
> the message (if the --nohelp option isn't used)

I think this menu should force the help lines on, just like the help
texts and the linter.  Otherwise there wouldn't be any menu, and not
much of an indication that nano has gone into a different mode.

> and have an associated
> help menu to describe those shortcuts in more detail.

Of course.  As you say, there needs to be in-program documentation,
that's what nano does.

>> The go-to-line function will stay in the Search menu because it's nice
>> to be able to switch between Searching and Jumping.  Since we're
>> leaving Pico behind, we could remove the paragraph-jumping functions
>> from the Search menu altogether (since they are available directly in
>> main), or we could put them in the Go-to-line menu.
>
> Would the Go-To-Line menu still be directly accessible via M-G in main,
> after all these changes?

Of course.  The ^W, M-R, and M-G will continue to be accessible from
the main menu, and ^R or ^T will continue to switch between the two
pairs.  (I don't know if these toggles are very useful, but they are
there and we'll keep them.)

Benno