[Nel] my last email :)

From: Vianney Lecroart
Subject: [Nel] my last email :)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:11:39 +0100

Hello all,

>     Thanks for your time in answering my questions.  I took the time the
> other day to read all the documentation, and look at the source code.  I
> must say, it is well structured, easy to understand, and well commented.
> And its good to see that the code is being documented well at such an
early
> stage. Good work, and I hope it keeps it up like this!

Thanks a lot :) We hope to continue in this way!

>     A client executable would be nice, I'm interested in playing with all
> this neat stuff!  This would logically be needed for testing and
developing
> new features, also.

In a first time, this client will do nothing else than init the nel lib and
perhaps
display a text and a triangle :) be patient!

>     Btw, I noticed that the OpenGL renderer is well abstracted, and it
seems
> to me that a Direct3D renderer would not be very hard to create.
> Coincidentally I'm working on a new DirectX 8/d3d renderer for xclient. If
> theres interest I could help create a Direct3D implementation of your
> rendering interface in the future. Or is one already in progress?   ( I
have
> nothing against OpenGL, its just that I have experience in d3d that might
be
> of help, and Direct3D performs well on my system. )

Yeah!!! It was in our external todo list. We wrote a list containing all
things that
the free software community could do on nel and the dx driver is on it! :)
You 'only' have to rewrite the 3d layer1 ! ;)
In fact, the 3d driver layer (layer1) isn't really fixed for now so you
should wait the
end this month before write a dx version because the API may change.

>     This raises a question I've been pondering myself.  I've also recently
> created MAX plugins for xclient, for exporting skeletal animated
characters
> from character studio.  Do you (or anyone) know offhand if the sources to
> these are distributable? Or does the sdk licensing prohibit it?  I wasn't
> able to resolve this from the documention included.  I know that the sdk
> itself isn't distributable, but I had hoped that derivative works were
> o.k...

I'm not able to answer, perhaps our 3d code lead could answer this.

Best regards,

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geek.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?