Re: [nmh-workers] Construction of outgoing from line

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Construction of outgoing from line
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 23:09:20 -0400

>I suspect the issue might be more that Mailx doesn't insist on inserting
>its own From: field, whereas nmh (these days) does.   If the MTA is handed
>a From: field already filled in, it leaves it alone, but if there is none
>(and it believes it is in mail submission mode) it will fill one in, and
>can be configured with which domain to put there.

FWIW, I think it depends on which Mailx you're using; it sure seems like
Heirloom Mailx will set the From: header (because you sure need to if
you are submitting directly to an SMTP server, which Heirloom Mailx can
do).

>All that said, most of my components files simply have
>
>From: Robert Elz <address@hidden>

If people wish to do that, more power to them; I personally don't
recommend that to users because it prevents the -from switch from
working.  It is also worth mentioning if nmh by default gives you the
wrong From line in a draft, you can simply change it in the draft before
you send it (or use -from).

--Ken