oath-toolkit-help

Re: [Hotp-toolkit-help] client/server extension of HOTP toolkit

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: [Hotp-toolkit-help] client/server extension of HOTP toolkit
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:22:45 +0100

Daniel Pocock <address@hidden> writes:

>> Do you think some of your modifications would make sense to incorporate
>> into HOTP Toolkit?  I'm thinking in particular of libhotp that you
>> copied -- if there are changes we could make to support your project, it
>> would be good to discuss this.  I think it would be nice if you could
>> use libhotp directly as an external library.
>>
> Actually, I didn't have to modify your code - I simply borrowed the
> files hotp.[ch] and used them as the HOTP implementation within my own
> process.  It is also intended that I could plug in other code in a
> modular way (e.g. TOTP or OCRA)
>
> If you could expose that functionality in a shared library, I could
> use that too, just as I'm using unixODBC and apr libraries.

This is already the case -- did you notice that './configure && make
install' installs a library called libhotp?  The library has the hotp.h
header file.

In retrospect, possibly my project should be called OATH Toolkit rather
than HOTP Toolkit, since I would like to implement TOTP/OCRA as well.
What are your thoughts on this?  It would give it a bit broader scope...

>> I haven't read your source code in too much detail yet, so I may be
>> missing something.
>>
> You can have a look over the SVN browser here:
>
> http://dynalogin.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dynalogin/trunk/
>
> Essentially, the structure is:
>
> libdynalogin/datasource - backend storage for user data/keys
>
> libdynalogin/ - the controller functionality (selection of algorithm,
> selection of user data from backend)
>
> dynalogind/ - a daemon process
>
> (still coming: libdynaloginclient - a client library)

Nice!  I've done some similar and related work for Yubico that may be
useful to get some inspiration from.  I'm especially thinking of the
validation server and its design to separate token secrets from the
validation.  But there are other stuff too.

/Simon