Re: 3.6.0 release

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: 3.6.0 release
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 10:27:17 +0100

On 11/24/2011 8:01 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 22-Nov-2011, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

| On 22 November 2011 16:36, John W. Eaton  wrote:
|
|>  If you know of important problems that should be fixed, please make
|>  sure they are in the bug tracker and listed with a serverity of
|>  important or blocker.
|
| I have one. Or three. Binary packaging. Can we really concentrate on
| making sure binary packaging is working on the three major platforms
| before we announce a new release?

If we had waited for binaries for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE,
Windows, and OS X before announcing Octave 3.4.0, then we would still
not have a release announcement.

Hi John,
I agree that you should not wait.

As maintainer of cygwin octave (and most math dependency libraries)
packages, I see binary packaging as the step after upstream release.

Binaries distribution could have additional requiremenst of
synchronization with general release plans or other packages
release that we can not control/predict in advance and at the end
relies on our time availability.
For cygwin, if I am not available no one will release on my behalf.

Linux distros will probably have larger teams but more synchronization
and package check issues than me.

| It's a little frustrating to have a
| new release that most users can't access because there are no easily
| accessible binaries. It produces a lot of bug reports on old versions.

Yes, it is frustrating that there haven't been binary packages.  But
the Octave project doesn't control packaging for any systems.  At
least some of the GNU/Linux distributions tell us that they don't want
us doing packaging for them and as a group, we have no way to do
packaging for OS X or Windows, at least that I know of so we have to
rely on volunteers.  If that should change, then how should it change?
If we as a group are going to be distributing binaries, then how will
we as a group build them?  I don't want to be in the position that we
must rely on a single individual to do packaging in order for us to
announce a release.

To build packages for any distro you need to be involved in the
specific distro packaging community, as guideline consistency
is a general requirement for any binary package acceptance.

jwe

Marco