pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New features

From: Edith Gross
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New features
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 19:26:50 +0200

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 18:28, Charles Kerr wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 04:42:08PM +0200, Edith Gross wrote:
> > (1)
> > In the group pane two numbers should be displayed for each group:
> >     (a) The number of locally stored headers, which were downloaded the
> > last time;
> >     (b)  The number of headers on the server, which have not been
> > downloaded yet.
> > This means, that when Pan starts up, it should read the second number
> > from the sever and it should not download any articles unsolicitedly.
>
> Why, what good would this do?

If there are not anough new messages I do nothing, so it is very interesting
to know the number of new messages locally and on the server.

> > (2)
> > There should be a possibility to download new headers for all subscribed
> > groups. There was such an option in 11.3 but it seems to have gone.
> > Selecting all subscribed groups is tedious.
>
> Yes, I've tried tighten up the menus in 0.12 because 0.11.3's menus are
> *huge* and full of redundancies and rarely-used options.   In 0.12 the way
> to get new headers in subscribed groups is:
>
>    ctrl-b  (selects subscribed groups)
>    ctrl-a  (downloads new headers for selected groups)
>
> The keystrokes are (intentionally) similar, and IMO not tedious.

Yes, but often ctrl-a means "mark All". I should prefere a tool button for
this as this is a very important task.

> > (3)
> > It should be possible to search across all subscribed groups on a server.
> > This feature is obviously very useful if you like .mp3 groups. At the
> > moment I switch to Gravity for searching and then switch back to Linux
> > and Pan for downloading.
>
> I've yet to find a cross-platform, embeddable database library that would
> be necessary for doing something like this with reasonable performance.
> I'll probably look into using Samba's tdb for this in a post-1.0 Pan.

I do not quite understand. You have to sequentially search all subscribed
groups. You probably have a function

search(newsgroup,expression)

and you have to write

for each g in list-of-subcribed-groups:
   search(g,expression)

Performance is not an issue (Pan performs usually much faster than Gravity).

--
Edith Gross