pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan for Windows, Beta 5

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan for Windows, Beta 5
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:19:37 -0700

On Mon 20 Jan 2003 14:06, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom posted as excerpted below:
> for those of us who have never used a newsreader with scoring (I've only
> used agent and pan extensively), could you enlighten us as to how scoring
> works?

Scoring is basically enhanced filtering.  First, we need to be able to filter
on any arbitrary header, the entire body, or the entire message (header and
body).  That's the big thing I miss.  I haven't actually used scoring myself,
but from what I have read, it basically turns the binary decisions of
ordinary filters into multi-point scoring systems, so you can base the
ultimate action on an entire host of factors.  Thus, you could score anything
containing an interesting keyword +1, anything containing a word normally
only found in spam -5, authors you like to follow +2, etc.  After all the
scoring rules are applied, you end up with a final score, that then can be
used to determine the action to take on the message (anything +3 or above on
overviews alone, download automatically, anything negative, mark read,
anything -5 or below, filter out, etc).

IOW, it allows multiple criteria fuzzy logic to be applied, rather than simple
binary rules.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin