pan-users

[Pan-users] Composing regex for Pan

From: Michael R. McCarrey
Subject: [Pan-users] Composing regex for Pan
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:05:11 -0800

Hi All,

I'm using Pan 0.14.2 on Linux.

I've been pulling my hair out (what little of it remains, that is),
trying to construct a regex mainly to filter out subjects that contain
all caps, as in: "HAVE EVERYTHING NOW!" amd "MAKE YOUR WILLY BIGGER
TODAY", as well as things like "*** GET IT NOW ***" and "$$$$ MAKE MORE
mOney ToDaY $$$$$".

I've waded through the source tree and docs, looking for something to
explain how to construct a regex that will match strings like those, but
to no avail. My programming experience is limited to BASIC and Assembly,
so anything in C, much more involved than the K&R's "hello world" looks
like someone was very angry with the alphabet. A Python is a large
aquatic snake and women wear perls around their necks.

Earlier in the list, someone commented that Pan's regex parsing was case
insensitive (and had to be enabled manually - "how" was not mentioned),
which explains, I think, why [A-Z] [^a-z] makes everything disappear.

I installed the regex coach awhile back to help me do this, but what
seems to work with it, either does nothing in Pan, or eliminates
everything.

The web is a wasteland of things that work for everyone else, too.

I'm still working on it, but any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

--
Professionals built the Titanic ...