pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone thought of adding par[1|2] support

From: Mike Brodbelt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone thought of adding par[1|2] support
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:42:24 +0100

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 23:03, Edith Gross wrote:

> > My experience is that Qt
> > based apps work better on Windows than GTK ones.
>
>   I am sure that you are right.
> The second best solution would be wxWidgets. Of course, Pan should be
> compiled with the MS compiler which is much better than its GCC conterpart.

Better is a relative term there, and the MS compiler isn't free (as in
beer) so developers would have to pony up for that. GTK doesn't seem to
be that great on Windows, but if I were writing an app from scratch, I'd
still be using GTK and gcc. I do believe they're the best combination on
Linux.

> Qt is not free on Windows but maybe Trolltech would agree that Pan uses it;
> after all, Opera uses it too. This should be negotiated.

I doubt TrollTech would agree. TOra, a GUI database designer that I use
at work is a GPL'd app, but the developer charges for licenses for the
Windows version, as he had to pay a 4 figure sum for his Windows Qt
license.

>  Bur wxWidget would
> be all right.

Pan is written in C, and wxWidgets only has C++ bindings, as far as I'm
aware (ok, it has Python and Perl, but they're scripting languages, and
I don't consider them suitable for Pan-type apps).

Mike.