pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)

From: Travis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:22:16 -0800

---- Original Message ----
From: "Duncan" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:58
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)

Travis posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below, on Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:47:06 -0800:

I'm a WinXP kinda guy, use PAN and love it.

So I installed Xandros 3.0 just for the hell-of-it and want to use
PAN with it.  I go to
http://packages.debian.org/stable/news/pan.html and see a version
for i386.  I assume this is the one I need but I have no idea how
to install it.  Do I also need the GTK files like I did for WinXP?

If these are indeed the files I need please give this Linux total
dummy detailed instructions.

OK, I only have direct experience with Mandrake (with its urpmi and
rpm system) and Gentoo (with its portage an ebuild system), not
with Debian (with its apt-get and deb system), but use the right
installation tool (probably apt-get, from what I've read of
Debian), and it should take care of all the dependencies for you,
installing anything needed beyond what you already have, assuming,
that is, that it can find it in your configured package
repositories, either from the CD(s), or online.

Someone more familiar with Debian will no doubt be able to offer
more detailed help, elsewise google it.  Debian is famous for its
dependency resolution system, being one of the first Linux
distributions and /the/ first major one (from what I've read) to
have it working properly, so it really should be simply a matter of
getting your package repositories set up correctly, and learning
how to work with that system, and the rest should be easy.  Of
course, decent dependency resolution isn't uncommon any more, but
Debian was one of the first.

I appreciate your trying to help but 99% of what you said is greek to this non-geek.

Travis in Shoreline Washington