pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan doesn't dl headers for one group

From: Neal Wilkinson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan doesn't dl headers for one group
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 15:17:02 -0400

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 23:49 -0700, Duncan wrote:
> The problem is likely this:  For whatever reason, server related or due to
> a faulty communication between PAN and the server, or possibly some file
> system corruption due to a lockup at the wrong moment, PAN's record of the
> xref message group numbers it has seen for that group are somehow wrong,
> probably seriously higher than the numbers currently coming from the
> server.  This causes PAN to believe that everything the server has is
> long-since dead history it knew about (and you read) ages ago.
>
> Note that PAN does /not/ reset all this information with a simply
> unsubscribe/resubscribe to the group.
>
> A quick test to see if this is the case would be to create a second server
> instance in PAN, but point it at the same physical server as the other
> one.  Then close PAN and restart it, going to the new server right away,
> before establishing any connections with the old one, and download the
> group list, then subscribe to the problem group.  Check messages, quit
> PAN, restart it, and see if PAN properly remembers where you were.  If so,
> you have your problem.  If not, it's something more complex.
>
> Assuming that's the problem, and you want to resurrect your old server's
> version of the group, try going into the group, then right clicking and
> unsubscribing, THEN (while it's still listed) right clicking and "Delete
> group".  Exit PAN and go to your PAN dir (normally ~/.pan/data/) and
> manually delete any stray files still around and recording info about that
> group.  Now, restart PAN, redownload the group list (necessary since you
> deleted the group including its entry in the group list), and try again
> resubscribing and testing.
>
> If that doesn't work but the new server test did, you missed a file
> somewhere.  You may have to subscribe to all your old groups in a new
> server, and entirely delete the old one.
>
> If the quick-test above didn't eliminate the issue, then as I said, it's a
> more complex issue, and will likely require some serious troubleshooting,
> starting PAN from the command line with various debug switches and tracing
> what's going on.  Hopefully, it won't come to that, however, and the above
> fixes the problem.

Well..I went back to Thunderbird for a bit and there are so many things
I like better about Evolution that I went back and played with it some
more. After a while of not getting any results I uninstalled it and
deleted the .pan directory in /home/ and then reinstalled and it appears
to be working now.