pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Article Threading in Pan 0.101

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Article Threading in Pan 0.101
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 09:25:16 +0000 (UTC)

Douglas Bollinger <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 01 Jul 2006
14:03:12 -0400:

> Just to nail this down completely, I'm using "Show Matching Article's Threads"
> and "Match only unread articles".  I expect to see unread articles threaded
> correctly with read articles, _IF_ that particular thread has any unread
> articles.  If the thread is all read articles, I shouldn't see any of that
> particular thread in the header pane.

That would appear to be a bug, then.  I never use that combination,
instead setting view unread only (matching articles only) by default,
toggling to view all, occasionally, when I need to go upline to get
context from a previously read parent.  Having each subthread displayed as
a separate thread under those conditions, if the unifying parent is
previously read and therefore hidden, is desired behavior here.  However,
if match article threads isn't doing just that, it's a bug, either in the
description (tho what would be the difference between match threads and
match subthreads if the description is wrong) or in the behavior, and
should be filed as such.

[On new/unread/read as in old-pan vs. only unread/read in new-pan.]

> Good riddance.  I never used new/old either and usually found it
> confusing. Glad to see it gone.  Anyway, in any post that I make,
> new=unread and old=read if I don't correct it.  It's still confusing
> even when the feature is gone. :)

Indeed.  Charles made a good decision, there.  It's just too confusing to
keep straight, particularly trying to help folks in the lists/groups,
the way it was.