pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: compile ?

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: compile ?
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:09:10 +1100

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:27:10 am Travis wrote:

> I have the pan .tar.gz on the Desktop but when I do the command  "tar
> -xvzf ~/Desktop/pan-0.133.tar.bz2" from the address@hidden:~/Build$ in
> Terminal I get "Cannot open: No such file or directory" etc, etc.

The z option to tar is for .tar.gz and .tgz files, which are compressed
by the program gzip. You're using a .tar.bz2 file, which is compressed
by bzip2, so you need the j option. Try:

tar -xvjf ~/Desktop/pan-0.133.tar.bz2

Travis, I assume you're a little inexperienced with the Linux command
line, so I'll give you a couple of hints that may help in the future:

* The options mean:
  x = extract
  v = verbose (prints what it is doing)
  j = pass the file through bzip2 for decompression first
  f = use the file named next

* You don't need to type the long file name, which is error prone. As
you type the command, when you get to pan- hit the TAB key on your
keyboard and the shell will try to auto-complete the file name. (Of
course you can copy and paste it too.)

* "tar --help" and "man tar" (without the quotes) will give you lots of
information about tar. Possibly too much :)

* If you're running a modern version of Linux with a decent GUI like KDE
or Gnome, you should be able to just double-click the file to get a
nice GUI application to extract the files. The command line is more
powerful and flexible, except when it's not, but for a single file
there's nothing wrong with using a GUI.

Hope this is helpful,

--
Steven D'Aprano