pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: compile ?

From: Travis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: compile ?
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:25:09 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven D'Aprano" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 16:09 PM

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:27:10 am Travis wrote:
>
>> I have the pan .tar.gz on the Desktop but when I do the command  "tar
>> -xvzf ~/Desktop/pan-0.133.tar.bz2" from the address@hidden:~/Build$ in
>> Terminal I get "Cannot open: No such file or directory" etc, etc.
>
> The z option to tar is for .tar.gz and .tgz files, which are compressed
> by the program gzip. You're using a .tar.bz2 file, which is compressed
> by bzip2, so you need the j option. Try:
>
> tar -xvjf ~/Desktop/pan-0.133.tar.bz2

I have .tar.gz and did just did what David Shochat said to do.

> Travis, I assume you're a little inexperienced with the Linux command
> line, so I'll give you a couple of hints that may help in the future:
>
> * The options mean:
>  x = extract
>  v = verbose (prints what it is doing)
>  j = pass the file through bzip2 for decompression first
>  f = use the file named next

Little inexperienced is an understatement.
Why would I want to print what I am doing?

> * You don't need to type the long file name, which is error prone. As
> you type the command, when you get to pan- hit the TAB key on your
> keyboard and the shell will try to auto-complete the file name. (Of
> course you can copy and paste it too.)

I'm reading these instructions on my Windows desktop and trying things on
another desktop so copy and paste is
not an option.

> * "tar --help" and "man tar" (without the quotes) will give you lots of
> information about tar. Possibly too much :)
>
> * If you're running a modern version of Linux with a decent GUI like KDE
> or Gnome, you should be able to just double-click the file to get a
> nice GUI application to extract the files. The command line is more
> powerful and flexible, except when it's not, but for a single file
> there's nothing wrong with using a GUI.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington