pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:14:35 +0000 (UTC)

David Shochat <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 03 Mar 2009 09:29:24
+0000:

> And I have a basic question: How is the new message supposed to get the
> subject and body of the post? I can only see how it would get the
> recipient from the url argument. I think Duncan has explained the
> interface in the past.

Pan uses the standard mailto: protocol to pass that information.  Thus,
the client must understand that protocol.  (In the case of GNOME and KDE,
pan simply calls their mailto: protocol handler, and it in turn uses its
configuration or the default to open an appropriate client, presumably
using dbus/dcop/whatever.  MS Windows and Apple OSX similar.)

Now I've not looked up the details of the mailto: protocol, but it
shouldn't be difficult to google if one is interested.  For those
presumably older (pine?) mail clients that don't handle mailto: directly,
one could then presumably create a scriptlet that would do the conversion
and feed them the appropriate info on stdin or whatever.  I've done
similar "glue" scripts here for various stuff, tho not for this specific
thing.