pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Big XML files... (was Re: Re: Better processing of v

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Big XML files... (was Re: Re: Better processing of very large groups?)
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:11:43 +1000

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 01:30:40 pm Ron Johnson wrote:

> > A few months back, I broke my Kmail config, and decided I'd check
> > out Thunderbird (I haven't used it since it was part of Netscape
> > 3). I gave it a good go, I really did, but it felt like I was being
> > asked to do carpentry with my hands cuffed together and a small
> > monkey riding on my back hitting me with over-ripe bananas.
>
> How so?  I've used Tbird for years, after having used Evolution,
> KMail (back in the KDE 2.x days) and Nutscrape 2.x-4.78.

Eh, it was just all the little things -- I couldn't get it to look right
(fonts, icons, etc) and I wasn't willing to spend the time customising
it. I didn't need to do that with Kmail -- the default look just is
nicer, in my opinion, although I realise that's a subjective feeling.

And I kept running into gotchas that annoyed me. Things like, when I
would show all headers in a mail with the intention of copying them, I
discovered that each line was a separate text control and you couldn't
select text from two header lines simultaneously. Apparently you're
expected to use a completely different interface, the View Source
command, and select text from that. Grrr arggghhh.

--
Steven D'Aprano