pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: New User Question

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: New User Question
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:53:43 +0000 (UTC)

Juan Wei posted on Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:48:08 -0500 as excerpted:

> Duncan has written on 1/29/2011 3:26 AM:
>> Juan Wei posted on Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:19:23 -0500 as excerpted:
>>
>> > I have the latest pan on Ubuntu 10.10 but it does not have a
>> > "Filters" thingy on the menu line.
>> >
>> > Don't I need that to make a "kill" file or is there another way?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> Filters aren't on the menu line, and indeed, don't exist per se.
>
> I got that impression from http://pan.rebelbase.com/screenshots/read.png
> where "Filter" is displayed between "View" and "Go".

That's the old and no longer supported (tho like kde3, some still use it)
pan 0.14 vintage series, from... 2004 or so and written in C.  A couple
years later, on IIRC April 1 (April Fool's day, we thought it might be a
joke at first), 2006, Charles released 0.90, the first of the C++ rewrite
series that continued with nearly weekly betas for over a year, before he
went into inactive mode once again (he always did seem to work in fits and
spurts, going great guns for a few months, then nothing for six months or
more), this time pretty much permanently, tho he did release one update,
his last release, 0.133, on Aug 1, 2008 (one security fix and several
updates to build against new library versions and with new gcc, one year
to the day after 0.132).

>> What pan
>> uses instead of filters is "scoring".  Where filters are binary
>> (killed/ normal, tho pan uses ignored in place of killed) or trinary
>> (ignored/ normal/watched), scoring is much more flexible, allowing a
>> range of values with incremental results such that any individual score
>> might not result in an ignored or watched post, but the sum of several
>> scores may still result in that.
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation of scoring. As my wife would say,
> TMI. All I'm looking for a way to prevent posts from certain individuals
> from appearing in the list of articles.
>
> Can you help me with that?

I did.  Reread the last post, paying attention to the information on the
"ignore" functionality, really, -9999 (or below) scoring, as that's the
way pan implements kill-filing.

But very briefly restating: The "ignore author" option on the article menu
is what you are looking for, altho whether "ignored" posts are actually
hidden depends on the settings in the view, header-pane, sub-menu, as I
explained in the previous post.