partysip-dev

Re: [Partysip-dev] Hi, problem!

From: Aymeric Moizard
Subject: Re: [Partysip-dev] Hi, problem!
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:51:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, [gb2312] ?? ?? wrote:

> hi all,
>
>     I wonder how does a UA know where it should send a
>   request to a proxy server or a redirect server or directly
>   to a UA?

Surely a configuration entry for the proxy!

>    If it is true that when a UA is configured with a server
> any pending request it generates will be sent to that server
> not directly sent to the UA which it can directly reach.

wrong!
Any initial request sent "oustside of a dialog" will be sent
to a proxy server.

For other requests ("within a dialog"), if the proxy have added
previously (in the "initial request" above) a Record-Route header,
then all requests will be actually sent to this proxy.

Nearly all SIP phones has a "mode" where they send all request
to a proxy, but this mode breaks the rules of SIP and makes
those SIP phones non-interoperable with all proxy.

This is a very common mistakes that *all* major vendors have
implemented :(

>   And how does a proxy or a redirect server do?

You can't be sure that request within a dialog will be
handled correctly.
Aymeric