pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] gdb breakpoints in scripts?

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] gdb breakpoints in scripts?
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:08:41 -0500

Hi Aleksander,

>> I was able load and run the script under gdb as stated in [1]. I set a
>> BP on the function of interest. gdb responded as expected with a file
>> and line number (which were correct).
>>
>> However, when I run the script, the BP is never hit. I do see the
>> results of the failed test, so I know the function where the BP was
>> set executed.
>>
>> Is there anything special for debugging under gdb and the script wrapper?
>>
> Did you tell GDB to follow child processes?
>
> (gdb)set follow-fork-mode child
No. But after doing so, still no joy. It appears to follow the first
child (alloc in the tests), but no others.

> When running under 'check', each test is forked into a new process, so
> that if it crashes unpolitely (segfault for example), the test is marked
> as aborted but doesn't prevent next tests from being executed.
I also caused a fault in the test function using 'assert(FALSE)' and
__builtin_trap(). gbd would not break for it either (even with
follow-fork-mode child).

Is there a gcc/gdb equivalent of Microsoft's DebugBreak()?
(Microsoft's DebugBreak() either snaps the debugger, or breaks if the
debugger is attached).

Any ideas (and thanks for the help),
Jeff