Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] incrementing app_id

From: Mark A Peters
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] incrementing app_id
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 20:51:52 -0600 (CST)

On 19 Dec 2001, Michael Dean wrote:

> Ummm...yep...I don't think I said anything to the contrary ;-)
>
> Mike
>
> On Wed, 2001-12-19 at 20:07, Bradley Bell wrote:
> > Yes, but it doesn't really assign them... it just increments...

Currently, no.. But I would like to see the applications have a controlled
app_id assigned by a controlling agency, simliar to the IETF numbers is
assigning to OID's.  That way we could build a central repository of
apps/services similiar to a UDDI/WDDI on maybe www.phpgroupware.org and
mirrors.

ie. A couple of clicks by an administrator, the system could do an
xml-rpc request listing apps that are in the repository and not
currently installed on their system.  A couple more clicks, and they
download the .bzip2/.tgz/whatever and it installs the app.

Just rambling at this point, but all of this is possible.

I've haphazardly started writing a class to help in managing some of this
from a client/server perspective.

Skeeter