Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] incrementing app_id

From: Bradley Bell
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] incrementing app_id
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 20:44:32 -0800

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:44:47PM -0600, Mark A Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Bradley Bell wrote:

> > > Currently, no.. But I would like to see the applications have a controlled
> > > app_id assigned by a controlling agency, simliar to the IETF numbers is
> > > assigning to OID's.  That way we could build a central repository of
> > > apps/services similiar to a UDDI/WDDI on maybe www.phpgroupware.org and
> > > mirrors.
> > >
> > > ie. A couple of clicks by an administrator, the system could do an
> > > xml-rpc request listing apps that are in the repository and not
> > > currently installed on their system.  A couple more clicks, and they
> > > download the .bzip2/.tgz/whatever and it installs the app.
> >
> > Why not just index them by app_name?
> >
> Currently appname is how they are index.  By changing over to an app_id
> (int) we will be able to cut down on data storage across the entire API
> (lang / (group/user) apps / preferences / etc.).

Well, that could be done without app_id being defined by a central
repository, and without the patch I cited.
Which still doesn't make any sense to me, since the patch doesn't seem to do
anything constructive, it doesn't really do anything to pave the way for
these future plans, and it breaks for mssql and sybase.

-brad

--
Bradley Bell
Computer Support Analyst