[Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Distributions

From: C K Wu
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Distributions
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 17:58:07 +0800

Hi, Geoff,

Your diagnostic is indeed right on the point.

When I was testing the initial release of ck-ledger, 0.0.5
with RedFlag Linux (a major distro in China), the problem
was the included Postgres being 6.x.x.  The way I
got around it, was to use a remote DB Server running
Postgres 7.x.x over RedHat 7.2.

With Mysql, there seems to be an indication that even
phpgroupware-0.9.12 requires Mysql-3.23+, due to
a key length limitation posted by Mysql-3.22.

I presume you could try to run a remote Postgres 7.x.x or
Mysql-3.23+ server over a non-Debian distro to
confirm if the failure of the combined (debian +
phpgroupware-0.9.14RCx + ck-ledger) system is due
to the DB version.

I have also tried the other approach of upgrading
the Postgres version of my RedFlag Linux machine,
ending with total failure.

Phpgroupware 14RC3 is definitely not stable yet.  That
actually highlights a weakness with the current phpgroupware
development process.  There are too many modules to
synchronize when upgrading to a new release.  This couples
with different underlying distros incorporating different php,
db, ldap,etc.. versions, could result in a lot of RCs being issued before
a new release is relatively bug-free.  I had a taste of this
problem when trying to make ck-ledger runable with both
Postgres and Mysql.  I had to cut back on a lot of Postgres (7.x.x)
sql features that were not supported by Mysql (3.23.x).  A better
approach is perhaps to go back to the previous situation of
releasing the core modules under a "phpgroupware-proper" project.
The other modules will be developed as plug-ins or sub-projects
subject to separate release streams with specification indicating
which "phpgroupware-proper" version being the prerequisite.

For the moment, I'll try to keep any new release of ck-ledger,
phpgroupware-0.9.12 compatible, pending the formal release
of phpgroupware-0.9.14.  If I got a bit of time, I'll try to
setup a debian machine and check out the debian situtation.

Best Regards,
CK

geoff wrote:

Hi CK, Had some time to fiddle with ck-ledger over the lastday or so: Mysql version only works with Mysql-3.23 +mainly Create table Select statement in reportsis the problem(Debian is still only with Mysql-3.22) I believe that phpgroupware 14RC3 is unstable the sessionskept kicking me off either that ,or again  Debian being back on PHP4-0.3pl1is the problem. I have gone back to phpgroupware-0.9.12 Debian latest Postgres distro is still back at 6.5.3 which againmay cause problems In essence the average debian user is going to have some angstwith the ck package.    Regards Geoff