Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] SQL Stored procedures?

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] SQL Stored procedures?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:07:35 +0000

is that really due to the database interaction?  I don't run with a lot
concurrent
users, but I do have a rather slow server (celeron 300), and the only load I
really
see is due to IMAP, not database.  What your suggesting is that app developers
drop
the database class and just write thier apps with logic to optimize for each and
every database.  I don't see a lot of poeple jumping on this bandwagon.

An app still has the ability to have it's own setup routine to load it's
database
tables and such, which is the old way, and within itself determine to use
procedures or sql if the developer decides his app is slow due to the database
interaction.

Performance in web apps is really more of a configuration issue.  I wish I knew
of
a cut and dry how-to and how to optimize, I just used trial and error.  I was
able
to tune apache on an old dual Celeron 433 with a mere 256Meg mem in such a way
that
it didn't hardly even sweat under a good Slahdoting.  Find your bottleneck.  If
it
is the database interaction, is it really the sql code or is it the database
client
library code itself?  I have heard of sites with 100's of concurent users.  What
did they do to support that level of scalability?  Surely they didn't re-write
phpgw to use stored procedures.