[Phpgroupware-developers] Credit where Credit is due

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Credit where Credit is due
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 23:37:54 -0700

I am often at fault of taking too much credit for the fantastic work this team produces. It is quite honestly not an intentional action in the least. I try and talk for myself when I should more properly be talking for the team. This would be more useful and proper to do since I am the project spokesperson and am entrusted to speak for the team.

Much of the problem was that I didnt like to talk on behalf of others, before consulting them on each issue. I initially tried and was critized at one point, so stopped. It was a case of being damned if you do and damned if you dont. But I picked the wrong damned and ended up making people feel like I was taking credit for their hard work and sweat poured into this project. For that I am very sorry and hope those who have been offended can forgive me for this. I will make sure that from now on I will use the terms "we" instead of "I" when describing what we are working on or have accomplished.

I have said many times that I am only a part of the sucess of this project, and that it truely has been a team effort. I simply need to say it more often :-)

"Everybody on a championship team doesn't get publicity, but everyone can say he's a champion."
~ Earvin "Magic" Johnson ~

While this quote is true, it is important that I make it clear when I am out talking about and representing phpGW that I do a better job of giving others publicity for their hard work whenever possible.

"Its amazing what a team can accomplish when no one cares who gets the credit."
~ Tommy Lasorda ~

This is also a very true quote, but when credit is too often not givin, it hurts... intentional or not.

This quote states my feelings on the issue best:

"I've worked too hard and too long to let anything stand in the way of my goals. I will not let my teammates down and I will not let myself down."
~ Mia Hamm ~

Thank you all who have pointed out this issue to me, and thank you all for your continued trust in me.

Dan Kuykendall