Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc

From: Lars Kneschke(priv.)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 06:02:33 +0000

Dan Kuykendall <address@hidden> schrieb:
>PEAR based projects are pretty much out for the moment. I spent alot
>of
>time trying to make this work for our users that do not have control
>
>over the web servers... and its really hit and miss.
>So for now, PEAR just doesnt work for us.
>
>ADODB is an option, but I dont think ADODB handles the same stuff we
>use
>schema_proc for. It mostly just replaces the phplib db classes we
>use.
>
>Dan
>
>Chris Weiss wrote:
>
>> how would this compair to using ADODB or one of the PEAR based
>projects?

Some points pro ADODB:

- We don't need to maintain it. This is one important point for me. We
really don't have the man power to add all the supported databases to our
database class. And currently is no one developing this classes anymore.
It would be nice to have a class which gets developed further without our
need.

- Porting
There are many projects which are using ADODB. These projects can be easier
ported to phpGroupware, when we use the same database class.

- Support for more databases then we have now.

The only feature i see is missing, is the table creation stuff. But maybe we
can work together with the adodb people, to get this into adodb.

Just my thougts.

Cu