Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Dead project : no updates of released bran

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Dead project : no updates of released branches ... not anymore possible to package for distributions ?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:06:51 +0100

Le mercredi 24 mars 2010 à 13:04 +0100, Benoit Hamet a écrit :
> Hi Olivier,
> Hi All,
>
> Olivier Berger a écrit :
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm worried as the "official" current Debian maintainer of phpgroupware.
> >
> > There have been quite a few security issues found in phpgroupware, that
> > have been "fixed" by applying patches in the Debian package, which were
> > never formally officially "managed" by the phpgroupware project in a
> > sensible way. You may find a list of the most worrying ones in :
> > http://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/phpgroupware
> > Problems have mostly been addressed by direct email contact with a few
> > of you, but that ain't sustainable iMHO.
> The release is already done. the 0.9.014 is available since some days
> now but not yet officially announced on the main web site. I'm writing
> the announcement atm. I hope to publish it at the end of the day.

OK, excellent news.

> > Even though there are patches floating around, you aren't managing them
> > through the bugtracker, nor releasing updated archives for the project.
> > I don't know what your habits are, but for me, the bugracker is the main
> > interface between a project and its users / packagers... failing to
> > properly manage the tickets in the tracker is as important as failing to
> > commit in the SVN.
> The patches are commited in the svn. They were not published on the
> official track manager due to lack of time. I know this is bad practice,
> but we've got some man power problem.

OK... not dead, but barely breathing ;)

> That's a long time discussed problem. Either try to maintain a mostly
> dead code that will not be supporting > php5.2 (AFAIK this should be the
> next php version in Debian isn't it ?), or try to move on with a new
> code, supporting >= php 5.2.

Can you point me to some more details about incompatibility with PHP
5.3 ?

Because that would indeed be a show stopper for next stable (squeeze), I
think.

> Having 0.9.16 in the next stable debian is not a solution for me. First
> argument in mind is the php version that will not be supported by this
> old code base ... So until "nextgen" is released, I don't see how to
> push for a debian package of phpgroupware ... AFAIK Gentoo is(was ?)
> packaging phpgroupware too.

OK... then there may be unofficial packages still...

> > I may as well pass the maintainer responsability to someone else, as I
> > may be too picky... but I honestly think there's a problem here that
> > needs to be addressed, and getting away from it won't really help.
> Welcome as a developper of nexgen :).

No thanks, enough to do with FusionForge, Mantis, and other desperate
PHP projects ;)

Thanks for the quick response.

Best regards,
--