Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Dead project : no updates of released bran

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Dead project : no updates of released branches ... not anymore possible to package for distributions ?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:16:50 +1100

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 16:49 +0200, Olivier Berger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Le jeudi 25 mars 2010 à 00:31 +1100, Dave Hall a écrit :
> > >
> > > Can you point me to some more details about incompatibility with PHP
> > > 5.3 ?
> > >
> > > Because that would indeed be a show stopper for next stable (squeeze), I
> > > think.
> >
> > phpGW 0.9.16 depends on the PHP4 object handling hack ( aka
> > ini_set('zend.ze1_compatibility_mode', 1); ) which was dropped in PHP5.3
> >
> > There is no easy way around this, without it phpGW is pretty much
> > useless.
> >
> > Feel free to quote this in any bug report.
> >

> I'm dubious... it spits a lot of errors in apache logs, but it seems
> phpgroupware 0.9.16.015 nevertheless works (screens look nice right
> after installation) when installed on a Debian testing machine (with PHP
> 5.3).
>
> If you had real examples of what breaks exactly, and how hard (or not)
> it is to fix or workaround, it'd be really helpful.

There is a lot of places in the code where phpGW assumes objects are
passed by value not by reference - especially the db object.  To work
around that phpGW relied on zend.ze1_compatibility_mode being set to
true.  zend.ze1_compatibility_mode was dropped in PHP 5.3 (see
http://php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php ) and so I expect a lot of things
to break.  I don't have time to run a phpGW install on one of my PHP5.3
test boxes atm to document what has broken.  There is no easy work
around for this either.

Cheers

Dave