Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Dead project : no updates of released bran

From: Sigurd Nes
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Dead project : no updates of released branches ... not anymore possible to package for distributions ?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:03:52 +0200

Dave Hall wrote:
On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 16:49 +0200, Olivier Berger wrote:
Hi.

Le jeudi 25 mars 2010 à 00:31 +1100, Dave Hall a écrit :
Can you point me to some more details about incompatibility with PHP
5.3 ?

Because that would indeed be a show stopper for next stable (squeeze), I
think.
phpGW 0.9.16 depends on the PHP4 object handling hack ( aka
ini_set('zend.ze1_compatibility_mode', 1); ) which was dropped in PHP5.3

There is no easy way around this, without it phpGW is pretty much
useless.

Feel free to quote this in any bug report.

I'm dubious... it spits a lot of errors in apache logs, but it seems
phpgroupware 0.9.16.015 nevertheless works (screens look nice right
after installation) when installed on a Debian testing machine (with PHP
5.3).

If you had real examples of what breaks exactly, and how hard (or not)
it is to fix or workaround, it'd be really helpful.

There is a lot of places in the code where phpGW assumes objects are
passed by value not by reference - especially the db object.  To work
around that phpGW relied on zend.ze1_compatibility_mode being set to
true.  zend.ze1_compatibility_mode was dropped in PHP 5.3 (see
http://php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php ) and so I expect a lot of things
to break.  I don't have time to run a phpGW install on one of my PHP5.3
test boxes atm to document what has broken.  There is no easy work
around for this either.

This is all taken care of in 0.9.17.525 (trunk) - also: (almost) all external libraries are updated to latest.

stable:
* phpgwapi
* addressbook
* admin
* hrm
* manual (odt2xhtml is updated to latest and moved to api - not yet  committed)
* messenger
* notes
* phpsysinfo (status: 3.0 - updated to latest (3.0.4) but not yet committet)
* preferences
* property
* setup
* sms

Not sure - but probably working:
* todo
* calendar (might be some issues with recurrence/alarm management)
* email
* felamimail
* ged
* projects (major update from .16 - some mysql-only issues i think)

(Don't know how the remaining apps are doing.)

Regards

Sigurd