Re: System file reorganisation

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: System file reorganisation
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 19:06:58 +0100

On Sunday 27 October 2002 14:10, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> Anyway, the whole concept behind system.cxx, path_finder.cxx and Co.
> is not really usable. What we need is a unified resource management
> system, that completly abstracts away from the underlying system and
> which allows loading of all resouces Pingus uses (sounds, graphics,
> levelfiles, savegames, etc.), not just a few.

Well then we should probably code such a managment system. We'll still a OS
abstraction layer and it seems that no one has experience with creating such.
The probably best course would be to study a working abstraction layer of
another application and copy it's methodic. I don't see any reason to invent
the wheel anew (especially not such a difficult and error prone one).
Does anyone know a good example to learn from? The only app with a good,
explicit abstraction layer I know is ACE which is unfortunately very complex.
If need be I'll try to descry how this works but I'm open to other
suggestions.

Bye David