pspp-users

Re: finding new developers

From: Nigel Brown
Subject: Re: finding new developers
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 06:43:22 +1000

On 10 Nov 2015, at 6:02 am, Matej Kovacic <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

There is no interest from the developers to do this.  A while back
someone even offered to put down $500 of their own money and others
volunteered a few hundred each on top to bring this about but it was

It seems that bounty offers would not solve the basic problem. The basic
problem is, there is no enough developers. And majority of us here are
not developers, so we cannot really help.

Maybe we should start actively looking for new developers?

Or perhaps start a different paradigm for adding function to PSPP (still need developers but maybe fewer):
The big advantage of SPSS in my eyes was and is ease of use so why not focus on the front-end role of PSPP and
put developer time there and leave the backend processing to R-Project for the calculating side of the task.
That is, develop a general hook from PSPP into R (?start with generating R batch files and then bring R output back into PSPP)
and focus on PSPP commands to drive that hook?

There is an approach to pivot tables in R http://www.rforexcelusers.com/make-pivottable-in-r/ which could perhaps be a starter for basic CTABLES back-end functionality?

Regards
Nigel

Or maybe hire one (maybe from India)?

Regards,

Matej
--
PGP Fingerprint: D241 F62F 8FB7 8E1B 1944  5D71 0A53 196C D360 BBE2
PGP Key: