pspp-users

Re: finding new developers

From: Nigel Brown
Subject: Re: finding new developers
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 07:15:37 +1000

On 10 Nov 2015, at 6:55 am, Charles Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:

________________________________
From: address@hidden
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 06:43:22 +1000
To: address@hidden
CC: address@hidden

Or perhaps start a different paradigm for adding function to PSPP
(still need developers but maybe fewer):
The big advantage of SPSS in my eyes was and is ease of use so why not
focus on the front-end role of PSPP and
put developer time there and leave the backend processing to R-Project
for the calculating side of the task.
That is, develop a general hook from PSPP into R (?start with
generating R batch files and then bring R output back into PSPP)
and focus on PSPP commands to drive that hook?

See: http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/faq.html#Merge

In the context of the FAQ then that says “If you want an import/export filter or some other feature to help PSPP complement your favourite program, then please talk to us about it.
Could we talk about an export filter to R (I like using PSPP for data clean up but R for factor analysis) and an import filter from R output? A configurable export/import filter to help PSPP complement R would be my request in the context of the FAQ sentiment.

Regards
Nigel

I think you'd better ask for a user-friendly GUI to R developers, although there are several.
In my experience, pspp works much faster than alternatives using large data, which is an advantage. For that and other reasons I think pspp should be further developed.  I agree that PSPPire must be on par with pspp, but the advantage here is that pspp commands are easy to use by knowledgeable SPSS largely unchanged.

There is an approach to pivot tables in
R http://www.rforexcelusers.com/make-pivottable-in-r/ which could
perhaps be a starter for basic CTABLES back-end functionality?

Regards
Nigel

CJT