pythonverse-devel

[Pythonverse-devel] Re: [OpenVerse] possible distro CD

From: Andy Goth
Subject: [Pythonverse-devel] Re: [OpenVerse] possible distro CD
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:14:06 -0600

On Monday, February 25, 2002 10:12, Sean R. Lynch KG6CVV wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 19:10, Andy Goth wrote:
> Uhh, hi, I'm Sean/Mr_Wrong. I shouted UN! because today was the first
> time I'd actually seen you online since I started logging in, even
> though I used to see you on all the time when Ryoko was hogging my box.

Okay, then, pleezed to meetcha.  *proffers hand*

> I wish I had more time to work on PythonVerse, but I don't know what
> else to do to it right now. Ryoko was in the midst of writing a new UI
> for it in wxPython as she realized the limitations of pygame (i.e. not
> much for UI elements). Of course, that would add *two* dependencies:
> wxWindows and OpenGL, at least for doing alpha blending, which looks
> quite nice and which I certainly won't want to lose.

Why do you need ogl for alpha blending?  Also where can I see
demos/screenshots of wx?  I have plenty of experience in writing cheapie
gui's using graphics libraries such as Allegro or even direct pokes to vram
and tinkering with vga i/o ports (in msdos).  If you want a simple gui
(buttons, edit fields, and maybe file browsers, but nothing more complicated)
I could probably hack something "nice" together using whatever you're already
using for graphics.  But it's not recommended.

> > I downloaded a copy of PythonVerse over Christmas to try and make it run
> > on my dad's (now nonfunctional) work laptop, and yeah, it worked.  It was
> > mostly nice, but there were things I would have fixed had I felt invited
> > to do so. I'm mostly afraid of stepping on toes, I guess, especially
> > since I'm a total stranger to the structure and philosophy of PV's source
> > code.  When I feel ready to dig in, I'll need some direction, perhaps a
> > project to get me started ("Un, could you fix that silly off-by-one
> > balloon rendering bug?").
>
> Don't worry about stepping on toes. If you get a Savannah account and
> use CVS and update frequently and most of all talk about what you're
> doing on the mailing list, there will be no problem.

Ah, joy, cvs.  I liek cvs. ;^)

--
Andy Goth  |  address@hidden  |  http://www.pengaru.com/~andy/
User has performed an invalid operation and will be terminated.