pythonverse-devel

[Pythonverse-devel] Re: [OpenVerse] possible distro CD

From: Andy Goth
Subject: [Pythonverse-devel] Re: [OpenVerse] possible distro CD
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:18:53 -0600

On Monday, February 25, 2002 11:57, Renze de Ruiter wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 16:10, Andy Goth wrote:
> > I downloaded a copy of PythonVerse over Christmas to try and make it run
> > on my dad's (now nonfunctional) work laptop, and yeah, it worked.  It was
> > mostly nice, but there were things I would have fixed had I felt invited
> > to do so.
>
> I've done a lot of work since Christmas.

Good.  I'll have to check out your work sometime soon, maybe tomorrow.

> > started ("Un, could you fix that silly off-by-one balloon rendering
> > bug?").
>
> If you're referring to the white fill being outside the black line on
> the balloons, that appears to be a bug in either pygame or SDL. If not,
> feel free to fix it. We had to work around some idiosyncrasies in the
> numbers to get the balloons right (it appears that the balloon
> coordinates are for the edge of the balloon, not the end of the
> balloon's arrow, which confused Ryoko and I for a while).

That's "Ryoko and me".  Learn some grammur, you dolt. <g>

> > We don't know much about what Gabe really needs--he was kind of vage--but
> > do you think he'll be better off with the current (buggy) Tcl version or
> > the (unfinished) Python version?  And when do you expect PV to catch up?
>
> Definitely the TCL client at the moment... PV is not yet feature
> complete, and I think more UI options (Mr. Wrong suggested a Gnome/GTK+
> ui module) would be nice. The SDL client is nice - I like it - but it
> doesn't look like what most newbies would expect. It's the only one I've
> been working on so far, though.

The main limitation at the moment is that it has no interface besides just
chatting.  Correct?  It has no room around the edges of the screen for menu
bars and status bars and chat history and stuff, but we can probably fix this
by optionally scaling down the room (or using a higher resolution/window
size) in addition to overlaying some things.  This is one neat trick that's
next to impossible in Tk... surely your libraries support this.

--
Andy Goth  |  address@hidden  |  http://www.pengaru.com/~andy/
User has performed an invalid operation and will be terminated.