qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Networking on Win2K host

From: Mike Tremoulet
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Networking on Win2K host
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:54:09 -0500

All --

Hopefully you can help me with this - I'm so close to having it
working, I can taste it.

I'm using Kazu's outstanding windows port
(http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/), although I have compiled my own
with Mingw/Msys, both with and without his networking patch.

Qemu itself seems to run quite well and quite fast.  The only hurdle I
have left is networking.  I have three interfaces on my Win2K host -
an integrated Ethernet NIC, a wireless NIC, and OpenVPN 2.0beta2
TAP-Win32 (installed in the process of trying everything).  When I
boot in Qemu, I get an IP address of 10.*.*.* assigned.  This
corresponds to nothing on my network.  I can resolve domain names, but
I cannot apparently send or receive traffic. If I execute "ping
google.com", the ping command comes back with an IP address for
google.com but no packets received.

For the "test" linux image available from the qemu site, I do not even
have an eth0 defined - there is no corresponding device, according to
the guest.

My questions are:
- What else must I do to configure the host side of networking?
- How do I know or define which adapter on my host is being used by qemu?

Host machine:
Win2K SP4, Winpcap 3.1beta3, TAP-Win32
Guests:
Gentoo 2004.2 livecd, Debian sarge livecd, Test linux image

There's a HOWTO waiting to be written on this...

Thanks in advance,
-- Mike