[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX
Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:58:05 +0900 (JST)
>>From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <address@hidden>
>>Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX
>>On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 00:57, Kuniyasu Suzaki wrote:
>>> But I think the option is not valuable on QEMU. It makes slow boot on QEMU.
>>> To make short-cut of boot is most important.
>>How long does it take to transfer the CLOOP file to hard disk?
>>I would think that you could do it just once, say and drop it in My
>>Documents, or wherever the user wants, with a pointer to the file in the
>>registry. Don't have the virtual machine do it (that's slow), have the
>>script that starts QEMU copy the file to the host's hard disk before
>>running QEMU. Also put a version number there. Then read some version
Excuse me. My explanation looks bad. KNOPPIX on QEMU/Windows boot with
iso image. QEMU cann't boot KNOPPIX from CLOOP directly.
The current version of "KNOPPIX on QEMU/Windows" is not smart.
>qemu.exe -L . -m 128 -boot a -fda qemu-boot.img -hda \\.\d -hdachs
1407,16,63 -user-net -enable-audio -localtime
The bad points are following.
1. We have to prepare DF boot image "qemu-boot.img".
2. The current QEMU/Windows can to use "-cdrom \\.\d" option.
We have to use "-hda \\.\d-hdachs 1407,16,63" option.
The desirable option is the following.
>qemu.exe -L . -m 128 -boot d -cdrom \\.\d -user-net -enable-audio -localtime
One key point of KNOPPIX with QEMU/Windows is that it boots form
CD-ROM. It does not require hard disk.
Anyway I want to speed up the boot time. The short-cut by taking
snapshot-of-boot makes it possible.
>>number off the Knoppix disk... if they match, and the file is already on
>>the hard drive don't copy it again. So you get a one-time hit, for
>>hopefully a big performance gain and the user won't see it again until a
>>new version of knoppix-qemu-win comes out (BTW, what is a good name for
>>this? kqw? something short... I actually registered a domain when I
>>thought of this possibility sometime back, "linsitu" if that makes any
>>sense to anyone...)
>>Might be a cool, general way to do this transparently in QEMU. What if
>>there was a option/feature in QEMU, that as it reads from a CD-ROM, it
>>builds a cache of it on the hard disk. Maybe it saves some unique info
>>from cd, and the hash for some random blocks. Then when QEMU is started
>>again with the same disk, it hashes those blocks and decides whether it
>>already has cached any/all of that cd on hard disk. If it has it reads
>>from cache of that cd on hard disk. Then you would have something that
>>could work with any bootable linux cd without any tweaking.
>>But booting a suspended image will probably save a lot of time so either
>>one is worth some focus.
>>I don't think the QEMU engine itself is off the hook either. There are
>>definitely things that could be squeezed there, the question is, is
>>there any low-hanging fruit which would provide a measurable performance
- [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, Kuniyasu Suzaki, 2004/08/25
- Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, John R. Hogerhuis, 2004/08/25
- Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, Piotr Krysik, 2004/08/26
- Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, Johannes Schindelin, 2004/08/26
- Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, Kuniyasu Suzaki, 2004/08/27
- Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, Piotr Krysik, 2004/08/27
- Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, Johannes Schindelin, 2004/08/27
- Cloop-Driver, was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, Johannes Schindelin, 2004/08/27
- Re: Cloop-Driver, was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, Juergen Lock, 2004/08/27
- Re: Cloop-Driver, was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, Johannes Schindelin, 2004/08/29
- coLinux and Re: Cloop-Driver, was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX, Kuniyasu Suzaki, 2004/08/30