qemu-devel

Re: Cloop-Driver, was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Cloop-Driver, was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:52:48 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Juergen Lock wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 08:01:14PM +0000, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>
> > Knoppix believes it runs from the HD (installed version) and does not
> > recreate /etc/fstab, and then just stops.
>
> Well... If you look at /cdrom/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg you can see the
> APPEND lines it uses, e.g.
>       APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=de apm=power-off vga=791
> initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
>
>  So it starts /etc/init inside the initrd, which calls /linuxrc.
> You'll have to hack that to mount /KNOPPIX uncompressed from hda
> instead of via cloop from /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, and maybe pass
> -cdrom /dev/cdrom to qemu too as it also mounts that to /cdrom.

Yes, I was aware of Knoppix running inside a ramdisk which mounts the
cloop image. My question should have been more like: "does anybody have a
good idea how to actually *use* the now available read-only HD image?"

Thinking about it, maybe the easiest method would be to modify the initial
ramdisk so it does not mount the cloop device, but /dev/hda (note: this is
no partition, i.e. not /dev/hda1, but /dev/hda). That should work nicely.

In other news, I was been told that http://www.topologilinux.com/ has a
coLinux-System on the Live CD, so in order to demonstrate Linux, you could
include that...

Ciao,
Dscho