qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK GUI for QEmu

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK GUI for QEmu
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:55:12 -0600

Oliver Gerlich wrote:

Wouldn't these two things be solved by using SDL inside the GTK window?
In current qemu, there are neither fullscreen nor mouse moving problems.

Depending on the X server settings, certain modes aren't available in SDL. In particular, on the default X install in Ubuntu on my system, there is not a mode to handle the standard console mode in Linux which means you get a centered console with large bars on the edges. It's very ugly.

The mouse problem occurs less frequently in SDL because of the fact that you're always at native resolution (so the mouse moves around the screen almost as quickly as it normally would. It's definitely reproducible. If you disable the mouse hiding in SDL mode, and you move the mouse slowly from one edge to another, you'll hit the box.

Fabrice mentioned some time ago that SDL isn't the best choice on
Windows because of keyboard issues... Is that still the case?

Probably. I was hoping to punt on the issue of Win32 and instead rely on a native Win32 GUI. I'm not sure GTK on Win32 is going to be that great from a performance perspective.

FWIW, I'm going to benchmark the my latest optimizations for fullscreen mode and post the results later today. If scaling can be done with little performance impact, I think it's clearly the right thing to do.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Oliver

PS: Arrg... no need to wonder why the mail doesn't appear on the list - I replied to Jim only. Here it is again.