qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Large USB patch

From: Lonnie Mendez
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Large USB patch
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:36:46 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

I have fixed this issue, also I have found the segfault on usb_del.
Patch is attached.
Next problem:
Linux does not recognize it, if I add a "tablet" while linux is allready
running. The attach is not delivered to the operating system.
  Hm.  There also seems to be some unchecked bounds when adding devices:

(qemu) usb_add host:001:021
Could not add USB Device 'host:001:021'
(qemu) info usb
    Controller 001: uhci
         001:001 = mouse
         001:002 = tablet
         001:001 = host:001:021
(qemu)

Also I've a question on where the emulated hub comes into play. Specifically how do you currently add new devices to it? The ,addto syntax doesn't seem to apply to the emulated hub as it takes a bus address (the controller) and an address on the root hub. But the hub itself would be centrally connected to a bus number identifying a controller and not have its own. It seems we've presently traded a hub with dynamic ports for 2 static ones. I'm glad there is a lot more internal tracking here as with the previous system you could usb_add the same host device several times and it wouldn't care. This should also make it easier to reconnect the ps2 mouse when the hid mouse is dettached.

Adding a device by Vendor id and Product id doesn't seem to work. If this is intentional then perhaps the functionality should be restored. qemu users will find this convenient as it is a fixed/static identification for a single usb device which is most likely going to be the common usage.

In regards to the linux guest problem I'm not seeing it. On an older debian SID install which is currently using linux kernel 2.6.14 all seems well. The code here is merely the first patch combined with CVS along with the already submitted patches. I'll try to find some variation to test with. In which distro is this happening?